Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Vege Garden Update - March 2011

The last of the passionfruits are still clinging hopefully to the vine, dreading their fate  - slices in two, their guts spooned out, churned with a range of products to create sorbet's syllabubs and whatnot. Not a chance they will escape, of course.

The tomatoes are nearing the end of their first run, a few new shoots emerging to maybe give us a second crop before the cold sets in.

I've re fertilised, gypsummed, and mixed in those water retaining granules in the main bed and have put down the next round of elkhorn lettuce, silver beet, some cabbages and a mustardy brassica, Esmerelda, my seedling lady gave me. I'm trying out putting some garlic in, too, having seen a sign in a garden shop telling me now was the time for this. I basically split a head I had and hope each bulb will feel friendly enough to multiply.

The aubergines keep growing up and up and putting out flowers and not doing much else, but I retain hopes.

The bittergourd vines did not take kindly to the spell of very hot weather we had and dehydrated away, so it looks like I will have to try again next year.

The amaranth is in full cerise flower and is providing good foliage for sauteing.

The mandarin is heavy with small green globes and the kumquat looks like its gearing up for the same. The lime is looking a tad reticent, but the lemonade tree has come up with enough fruit to look forward to another few rounds of lemon cordial.

I was averse to putting in the cabbages as I am averse to having to deal with the dreaded cabbage moth, but Esmeralda put me onto using orange bags as netting to keep the moths out, and I recalled that I actually have some fruit tree netting anyway which I will enlist. She's going to have some brussel sprout plants in a few weeks and I will give them a go also.

Maria's Japanese artichokes are growing - I shall have to ask her how I will know they are ready for digging up. They are a funny white grubby looking thing but have a good flavour when baked or steamed.

Here's a hint I've picked up and used successfully: when you go to make things like sorbets and syllabubs with passionfruit you have to only use the pulp without the seed. If you scoop the pulp into a saucepan, add just enough water to float the pulp so it won't sit on the bottom of the pan, then bring this to a boil, simmer for a few minutes, you can then easily separate the pulp from the seed through a strainer. Someone can tell me the science of that sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment