Tuesday, October 22, 2013

What's in a name?

Everything, that's what and so today I have re-branded (an apposite word for a food blog I reckon - visions of someone rustling me and scorching some new arcane design into my flank). I give my mate Kirsty Machon full credit for giving me the description of myself I have long searched for.

What does it mean? It came out of a Facebook discussion over the last couple of days about Neanderthal and Paleolithic diets (and you thought Facebook was just for frippery !), wherein I posted a couple of articles debunking the view of our hominid ancestors as living some vegan life sans meat. See earlier This week's compost postings.

The descriptor comes of course from Michael Pollan's tome  - the dilemma of the omnivore being the need to find ever new things to eat to alleviate the boredom of sticking to the one grain and so putting oneself in danger - or at least that's how I recall the dilemma.

So

Proud because while knowing all the arguments pro vegan and vegetarian I will continue to eat animals ethically and sustainably raised or foraged.

Desperate because I like the image of me searching the fridge and cupboards for something, anything, to satisfy hunger pangs.

Versatile to congratulate myself on being able to make something from whatever I find in said domestic food holders.

Opportunistic because I have rarely passed up anything put before me (I could claim a childhood of scarcity but that would be a BIG LIE).

Forager because as earlier posts have shown picking what providence provides by waysides - okay footpaths and front fences and rescue sections of my greengrocer  - adds that frisson to the resolving of the omnivores dilemma.




No comments:

Post a Comment