Saturday, January 11, 2014

This week's compost

Hiya all welcome the New Year.



1.      Bruny Island

What a grim few weeks it’s been foodie posting wise. While waiting for some real news to come along, you might like to check out my short blog on my culinary toe-dipping in Bruny Island.



2.      The Oatmeal

And a cute cartoon from one of my favourite online cartoonists.


I remember when all Australian country towns had only one Asian restaurant, the Chinese, Happily I don't recall ever getting diarrhoea from any of them. Hmmmm...is MSG and anti-diarrhoeatic?

3.      New York Mayor Bill de Blasio’s First Scandal: pizza with a knife and fork

“New York: The pizza arrived, steaming and delectable, a smoked-mozzarella-and-sausage pie presented to mayor Bill de Blasio like a gilded offering to a visiting caliph.
The New York mayor, on a pilgrimage on Friday to Goodfellas, the venerable Staten Island pizzeria, smiled, nodded at his slice and then proceeded to do the unthinkable: eat it with a knife and fork.”

This raises for me the question: Is it ever acceptable to eat a meat pie with a knife and fork. I don’t mean those gourmet fancy nancy kinda ones, I mean your Big Ben type pie.


4.      The milk revolution
“It could be that a large proportion of Europeans are descended from the first lactase-persistent dairy farmers in Europe,”

Quite a lovely article that shows how questions about food tolerances and practices can lead to understanding, or at least theorising, human migration patterns.



No comments:

Post a Comment