Saturday, August 30, 2014

This week's compost



Gourmet Food and Drink Quiz
Well that’s what it says on the lid of a pressie a friend bought me anyway of a set of cards in a little tin. So just for fun, I thought for the next several editions of TWC I would post a question at the start and the answer at the end.
No peeking now! And now resorting to on-line or print sources. Just have fun seeing if you know the answer already J

NB: NO discussions will be entered into on the correctness or otherwise of the answer. Well, only if you can cite references. Otherwise ‘The tin hath spoke’.

Ques: The earliest archaeological evidence for the consumption of soup dates back to 6000BC – what flavour was it?

Microbial Foods.org

‘The growing interest in fermented foods has been fueled by a large number of excellent how-to guides. But information on why fermentation happens and the microbiology behind these artisan foods is generally hard to access. This site is a forum for the synthesis and distribution of current knowledge and research on the microbiology of fermented artisan foods.’

For the germ nerds among us J


Breakfast Downgraded from ‘Most Important Meal of the Day’ to ‘Meal’

‘This week health columnist Gretchen Reynolds at The New York Times did the slapping with science, reporting on two new nutrition studies. She concluded, "If you like breakfast, fine; but if not, don’t sweat it."’

I feel so relieved I can out myself as a non breakfast eater at last, even a tad smugly. I am never really hungry till mid morning at the earliest and mostly can happily wait till lunch to have anything more than a piece of fruit. I did eat breakfast as a school kid but once I hit uni my natural instinct kicked in and I haven’t looked back since. However, I feel weirdly compelled to eat something for brekkie when it is part of B & B travelling for work or on hols. I protest, however, that this does not suggest that I don’t do brekkie at home because I am lazy. There is something about being different when away from home that makes breakfast okay.



Creative Food Art

Hopefully you can access the pics of the stunning work of Sarah Illenberger.



Guerilla Grafters

‘The [Guerrilla Grafters] graft fruit bearing branches onto non-fruit bearing, ornamental fruit trees. Over time, delicious, nutritious fruit is made available to urban residents through these grafts. We aim to prove that a culture of care can be cultivated from the ground up. We aim to turn city streets into food forests, and unravel civilization one branch at a time.’

Oh, I sooooooo want to do this....



Gourmet Food and Drink Quiz Answer: Hippopotamus

1 comment:

  1. I should have known it would be hippo! Ancient Egyptians? I thought chicken, although I thought it may be something more exotic.

    What's happened to your lovely pink backdrop?

    ReplyDelete