Saturday, November 7, 2015

Compost









Yes they really sold these in Melbourne for the AFL. No, my source didn't taste them so I cannot report.

Handfed
A delightful project I was thrilled to be involved in .



Betty Crocker’s Absurd, Gorgeous, Atomic Age Creations
Consarn it!! The NY Times site won’t let me copy some of the many delightful bits of this article, so I can only recommend it as highly entertaining. And the embedded video is like the best of amuse bouches.


Ripe and Ready: How ‘evil geniuses’ got us hooked on avocadoes

‘In one small fruit, you can see a glimpse of how the modern food industry works – year-round availability, improved retailing, the elevated status of so-called “superfoods”, the influence of social media and millions spent on marketing.’

In Sri Lanka you see avocadoes in abundance as you did back in my childhood days, except we never ate them as a salad veg or with dressing swimming around in the centre. I only ever knew avocadoes as avocado cream for dessert or as avocado juice. It’s been interesting on my food trips back to Sri Lanka watching guests’s responses to seeing avocado up there with orange, apple, and pinapple at the breakfast juice end, of fluffy whips of avocado sitting next to vanilla ice cream.


And then there was also this story.



Almond milk: Good for you - very bad for the planet

‘Alpro’s almond content is just 2% – the biggest ingredient is water, followed by sugar. Like most others, it also contains additives such as stabilisers and emulsifiers. The amount of sugar is less than the natural sugars found in cow’s milk, so it has fewer calories, but there is also less protein – 0.5g to the 3.5g you’ll get in the same amount of cow’s milk.’

(Sigh!) This is the more depressing stat in this article for me than the amount of water it takes to grown an almond. I would bet very few of those who have switched to almond milk bother to check out what it is they are consuming.


American Dude and His Mum Mock White People’s Hummus in a Surprisingly Likable Parody
This is a really dumb header for a very funny, very clever vid.



Michelle Bridges calls people who grow their own food 'freaks'
I had no idea who Michelle Bridges was and I have even less interest in knowing anything further about her.




2 comments:

  1. What a great collection. The avocados had me remembering my first taste (perfectly ripe, with lemon & salt, eaten from the skin, in a newtown share house around 1980) & Betty Crocker was a blast from the past too. I loved the hummus clip, but the almond story is very disturbing - had no idea it was so water intensive. And Handfed - what an excellent initiative. I'm hopeless eating rice with my hands but I eat everything else that way when I eat with the African side of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renewic Business Solutions Provides top class Composting Machines which convert all your waste to compost in just 20 hours.

    ReplyDelete